Durable Medical Equipment (DME) billing modifiers are used to provide additional information to Medicare and other insurance companies about the services and equipment provided to patients. These modifiers are added to the healthcare billing codes to indicate the specific circumstances under which the services were provided.
Here are some commonly used DME billing modifiers:
- KX Modifier: This modifier is used to indicate that the DME provided is medically necessary, and that the patient’s condition meets the criteria for coverage. This modifier is often required by Medicare for certain DME items.
- RR Modifier: This modifier is used to indicate that the equipment being billed was rented rather than purchased.
- NU Modifier: This modifier is used to indicate that the DME was purchased new, rather than used or refurbished.
- LT/RT Modifier: These modifiers are used to indicate that the DME was provided to either the left or right side of the body.
It’s important to note that the use of DME billing modifiers can vary depending on the specific insurance company, and healthcare providers should always consult with their billing department or a billing specialist to ensure that the appropriate modifiers are used for each claim.
GET TO KNOW US!
BFLOW RCM Services is a company that offers revenue cycle management (RCM) services for healthcare providers. RCM refers to the process of managing a patient’s financial transactions throughout their entire care journey, from appointment scheduling to insurance verification to claim submission and payment collection.
BFLOW RCM Services offers a range of services to help healthcare providers optimize their revenue cycle processes and improve their financial performance. Some of the services they offer include:
- Medical billing and coding: BFLOW RCM Services can help healthcare providers ensure that their billing and coding processes are accurate and up-to-date, which can help to reduce claim denials and delays.
- Insurance verification: Verifying a patient’s insurance coverage and benefits is a critical step in the revenue cycle process. BFLOW RCM Services can help healthcare providers verify insurance coverage and benefits for their patients to help ensure that claims are submitted correctly and paid in a timely manner.
- Claims submission and follow-up: BFLOW RCM Services can help healthcare providers submit claims to insurance companies and follow up on any claims that are denied or delayed. This can help to ensure that healthcare providers are paid for the services they provide in a timely and efficient manner.
- Patient billing and collections: BFLOW RCM Services can also help healthcare providers manage patient billing and collections. This includes sending patient statements, collecting payments, and managing any outstanding balances.
Overall, BFLOW RCM Services can help healthcare providers streamline their revenue cycle processes, reduce administrative burdens, and improve their financial performance.
CONNECT WITH US TO LEARN MORE